Monday 3 November 2014

Emigrating to New Zealand

20 October 1844

Dear Grandad,

                    How are you? I hope you are feeling better. We have just landed in New Zealand.
          It was boring sailing to New Zealand for 4 months. We slept in very small bunks. Next to my bunk, my friend died because she had a bad cold. It was terrible. I felt gloomy, sad and depressed. It was so sad I was crying and her family did as well. 
          People got sick from the rats on the ship. Also people got colds. The food we had was potatoes, meat, biscuits with weevils, porridge and salted meat. The storms were the most horrible things ever. We had to shut all of the hatches.
           When the weather was calm, we had school. The teachers told us how to write and talk properly.
          When we landed in New Zealand we had to build a tent. We have to wait for a while until we can build a real house.

I hope I can see you again.

Love from Sapphire

No comments:

Post a Comment